Driving from Salerno, Vietri sul Mare is the first of the thirteen pearls of the Amalfi Coast, set in the most protected location of the homonymous gulf, at the foot of Monte San Liberatore and dominates the valley of the Bonea river.
It is famous all around the world for the appreciated lively polichrome ceramic handicraft, whose first records date back to the XV century.
Although the legends tell us that the Greek hero Jason, during his wanderings in search of the Golden Fleece, founded on these shores the old “Marcina” (probably corresponding to the current Marina, district of Vietri sul Mare), the town has Etruscan origins and played the important role of outpost for centuries on the sea for commercial traffics with the hinterland.
Occupied by the Romans during the Lombard domination it became a suburb of the city of Salerno. It then passed under the jurisdiction of the Benedictine Abbey of the Holy Trinity of Cava de’ Tirreni and was district of the town of Cava until 1806, when it achieved self-government.
There, you shouldn’t miss the Church of St. John the Baptist, built in the XVII century in late Neapolitan Renaissance style, with a dome covered with majolica tiles; the Confraternity of the Annunciation and the Rosary, built in the XVII century, features a marvelous façade decorated with painted pottery;
Palazzo Solimene, created after the Second World War by Paolo Soleri.; the museum of Ceramics of Vietri,
housed in the Belvedere turret of Villa Guariglia in Raito; the Public Garden (Villa Comunale).